This recent hot spell has me thinking about cool and refreshing dishes and this soup is at the top of the list.
This is a really easy dish to make, and brings together the smoothness of avocados and limes, the spicy flavour of a jalapeño pepper and the zesty taste of cumin and chili powder. We love it when in Mexico, where avocados, limes and jalapeños are easy to come by, but this can be made anywhere there’s a grocery store that stocks them!
To make this, you need 3 avocados, several limes, a jalapeño pepper (the amount of which you can adjust depending how much you like the heat), cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper, and 4 cups chilled veggie broth. I used cubes but you can use containers of broth too. You also need a blender.
Peel and roughly dice the avocados and chop the jalapeños.
Put them in the blender with 2 cups of broth, the lime juice and zest, the cumin, chili powder and salt and pepper to taste.
Puree until smooth, and then pour into a large bowl and add the remaining broth. Chill at least two hours. If it’s too thick you can add more broth, although I have never had to do that.
Once chilled, serve it up and enjoy! It’s quite hearty and filling and ohhh so tasty.
The printable recipe is below.
Chilled Avocado Soup
- 4 cups chilled veggie broth
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 tsp lime zest
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 1 jalapeno pepper, well minced (can be adjusted depending on your heat tolerance)
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 3 large, ripe soft avocados, pitted, peeled and roughly diced
- in blender, combine 2 cups of broth, lime juice, zest, cumin, chili, jalapeno, salt, pepper, and avocados
- puree until smooth
- put into large bowl; add remaining broth
- chill at least two hours
- if too thick, add more broth (usually not necessary)